Thursday, May 26, 2011

Homemade Tortillas

Several months ago, I started making homemade tortillas. Maybe that was a big mistake. These tortillas are soft, delicious, and have pretty much spoiled me. Taco night is no longer a mess-free affair at the Shull house, since it now involves getting out the rolling pin and flouring up the counter.

Homemade Tortillas
2 cups all-purpose flour (or 1 cup white, 1 cup whole wheat)
1-½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
Method:

  1. Stir the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
  2. Add vegetable oil to the lukewarm milk and mix together.
  3. Gradually add the milk to the flour mixture, and using clean hands, work it into a gooey dough.
  4. Turn dough out onto a surface dusted with flour and knead until the dough is no longer sticky.
  5. Return the dough to the bowl and let sit for about 20 minutes.
  6. Divide dough into 8 balls of equal size, cover them. Let sit for another twenty minutes.
  7. Roll the balls out one at a time to about a 7 inch circle. (I have a pastry mat with a nice little circle that shows me a 7-inch circle. $2 at Wal-Mart!)
  8. Cook in a preheated skillet (I use a cast iron). Flip after 30 seconds (the dough should be bubbly, kind of like a pancake) and cook the other side for about 20-30 seconds. Do this with all of the dough.
It's just that easy! I've gotten in the groove of this. I roll out a tortilla, place it in the pan, and while that one's cooking, I roll out another one. The timing works out great, and it gives me something to do other than stare at the cooking tortilla.

1 comment:

  1. Yea! These really do sound great and I'm glad to hear it calls for oil instead of shortening. =) I'm gonna be trying these!

    ReplyDelete