Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Buttermilk Alfredo


Remember that buttermilk that revolutionized my pesto? Well, today was the "best by" date. I am a stickler when it comes to expiration dates, and I also hate throwing things out. Result--kitchen experiments! Today's was a great success!

1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 cloves garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
3 cups buttermilk
3 tbs cornstarch
pinch italian seasoning
salt & pepper
1 cup parmesean cheese
pasta

Like many of my fave recipes are, this was really quick and easy! I mixed the buttermilk, cornstarch, and italian seasoning and simmered it.

Meanwhile, minced garlic and the spinach went into a separate pan. (A third pot was boiling water for noodles--I hate getting so many pots dirty, but that's life). After a few minutes, added the tomatoes (drained) to the spinach.

The buttermilk was bubbling away, so I added the cheese. Stir, stir, stir!

Then I dumped the buttermilk mixture in with the spinach and tomatoes. Gorgeous! Love those colors! By this time, the noodles were done. Mixed those in as well. Done! From start to finish, this took about half an hour, maybe less. Perfect for a Wednesday night meal!

Allen and I both really loved the creaminess of the pasta. And since the buttermilk was low-fat, none of the guilt of eating alfredo! We will definitely be having this again, although next time, I think some garbanzo beans would be a fantastic addition.

The leftover sauce is going to become a white pizza in a few days. Yay leftovers!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I had some buttermilk to use up so I followed your recipe- tossed it with some mixed veggies, pasta, and chicken to make a wonderful casserole to bake in the oven on a cool day. I like the small amount of tang the sauce has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Loved this recipe! I made it last night as pizza with imitation crab meat and it was so good! Instead of the Italian seasoning, I drizzled tomato olive oil dressing right on top of the crust as it was baking. Wonderful recipe and my husband is finicky. I love that it's pretty light, as well.

    ReplyDelete