Thursday, June 4, 2009

Buttermilk Pesto


The oregano in my garden is getting out of control. Seriously--taking over the world. Or at least, the little part of the world that is just outside my house. But who wants to waste perfectly good oregano? Not me, certainly! I've heard of people using oregano instead of basil for pesto. Sounds good! I wasn't willing to totally forgo the basil, so I went with 1/2 and 1/2 on the herbs.

Then the most miraculous thing happened. This was my first time using the blender on pesto. I used to make it in the now deceased food processor, which gave up the ghost trying to make a particularly thick cream cheese frosting for a friend's red velvet birthday cake. So I thought I'd check out some forums on Chowhound about making pesto in a blender. I came across this tip: "BTW, I use buttermilk in place of most of the oil. Adds a creaminess and cuts the calories." WOW! I was floored. Absolutely had to try this myself!

1 cup fresh basil
1 cup fresh oregano
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cloves minced garlic
drizzle of olive oil

Complete success! Finally, guilt-free pesto! Paired with whole wheat pasta, this is a great meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment