Friday, May 1, 2009

Pasta with Ravioli and Bacon

Found this recipe in the latest issue of Real Simple and couldn't wait to try it! Pasta meals are great for Wednesday nights (or any weeknight, really!) because they're quick, tasty, and filling.

I decided to add some sun-dried tomatoes, even though I usually try to follow the recipe the first time I make something. I was REALLY glad I added the tomatoes--would've been kinda bland without them. Next time, I think I might make some sort of quick cream sauce to mix in.

The verdict: this recipe has potential, but it definitely needs tweaking to be considered anything more than average.

The dinner rolls, however, turned out great! At the last minute, I found out that Allen's brother and his fiancé were in town, so we invited them over for dinner. While Allen's used to my lack of side dishes (we have one-dish meals more often than I care to say), I felt like our guests deserved at least a piece of bread to go with their ravioli! So I headed over to my trusty allrecipes.com, which is my second favorite cooking resource (The Joy of Cooking being my all-time fave), and looked for a recipe for quick dinner rolls. As usual, allrecipes did not disappoint!

I liked the look of these double quick dinner rolls. I modified the recipe ever so slightly by substituting garlic powder for the onion powder and replacing 1/2 cup of flour with oats to give them a bit more substance. Yum! Will definitely remember these rolls the next time I need a quick yeast bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment