Saturday, May 2, 2009

What's a Saturday Morning without Pancakes?

I woke up today with the incredible feeling of not having my thesis hanging over my head. True, it's not finished yet. But it is safely in the hands of my readers, and I can't do anything else with it without their comments. And so, I'm looking forward to a well-earned day of leisure! We slept in and decided to have a late breakfast so that I wouldn't be too full for the Victorian Tea Party at 2:30.

Allen's favorite breakfast is pancakes. We've tried several recipes but haven't yet found one that we consider our "go to" recipe. The Joy of Cooking has given us several good ones. We liked the 4-grain pancakes, buttermilk pancakes, and "regular" pancakes. Today I'm trying a twist on the buttermilk recipe. I can't remember where I learned that you can substitute plain yogurt for buttermilk, but it's one of my favorite cooking tips. We almost always have plain yogurt on hand--sometimes homemade!--but rarely is there buttermilk in my fridge.

Today I used a mix of white and brown sugars, substituted 1/2 of the flour for oats, and replaced 1 cup of the milk with yogurt. Although it's best if you let the batter sit overnight, I hadn't thought ahead of time. We did let the batter rest for about an hour while we enjoyed our lattes on the front porch.

Folks, I think we have a winner! The pancakes were great! Moist, fluffy, delish! And a little healthier than regular pancakes, thanks to the whole oats...

No comments:

Post a Comment